Download Solution: Click to Download Solution
Solution File Name: Ch09.doc
Unzip Password: prestobear.com
Chapter 9 Solutions
1. Which command can be used to fine-tune the vsync and hsync of a video card for use in X Windows?
2. Which of the following statements is true?
a. GRUB needs to be reinstalled after it has been modified.
b. LILO need not be reinstalled after it has been modified.
c. GRUB points to LILO.
d. GRUB need not be reinstalled after it has been modified.
3. If GRUB has been password protected, what must you type to enter the password when at the graphical GRUB screen?
4. Which runlevel halts the system?
5. Which file does init reference on startup to determine what to configure for a given runlevel?
6. Which two commands entered at a command prompt start X Windows, the Window Manager, and the default desktop environment? (Choose two answers.)
7. Which of the following statements is true?
a. The boot loader points to the MBR.
b. Either the MBR or the active partition can contain the boot loader.
c. Both the MBR and the active partition point to the boot loader.
d. The boot loader points to the active partition.
8. Which command is used to reinstall LILO after its configuration has been altered?
c. set lilo
d. reset lilo
9. What keyword in the LILO configuration file specifies the absolute pathname to the Linux kernel?
10. To make dual booting as easy as possible, Linux should be the second operating system installed. True or False?
11. How many active partitions can there be per hard disk drive?
12. Which of the following indicates the second partition on the third hard disk drive to GRUB?
13. Which two implementations of X Windows are commonly used in Linux? (Choose two answers.)
14. What is the name of the directory that contains the configuration information for runlevel 2?
15. In what directory is the Linux kernel stored?
16. If a user enters Single User Mode, who is she automatically logged in as?
a. the user name she provided
d. there is no user available in Single User Mode
17. The first process generated on a Linux system is ___________.
18. Which utility can be used to configure the video card and monitor used by X Windows in Red Hat Fedora Core 2?
19. Which command causes the system to enter Single User Mode?
a. init 0
b. init 1
c. init 6
d. initstate 5
20. The timeout value in the GRUB configuration file is measured in?
b. 1/10 of miniutes
c. 1/10 of seconds
d. 1/100 of seconds
Discovery Exercise 1
Discovery Exercise 2
Discovery Exercise 3
Discovery Exercise 4
Discovery Exercise 5
Discovery Exercise 6
Discovery Exercise 7
Discovery Exercise 8