Download Solution: Click to Download Solution
Solution File Name: Ch05.doc
Unzip Password: prestobear.com
Chapter 5 Solutions
1. A symbolic link is also known as a soft link and is depicted by an @ appearing at the beginning of the filename when viewed using the ls –l command. True or False?
2. What was created to define a standard directory structure and common file location for Linux?
d. root directory
3. There is no real difference between the “S” and “s” special permissions when displayed using the ls –l command. One just means it is on a file and the other that it is on a directory. True or False?
4. The default permissions given by the system prior to analyzing the umask are ___________for directories, and __________ for files.
a. rw-rw-rw- and rw-rw-rw-
b. rw-rw-rw- and r–r–r–
c. rw-rw-rw- and rwxrwxrwx
d. rwxrwxrwx and rw-rw-rw-
e. rwxrw-rw- and rwx-rw-rw-
5. What must a user do to run cp or mv interactively and be asked if she wants to overwrite an existing file?
a. There is no choice as the new file will overwrite the old one by default.
b. Type interactive cp or interactive mv.
c. Type cp -i or mv-i.
d. Type cp –interactive or mv – interactive.
e. Just type cp or mv as they run in interactive mode by default.
6. A user utilizes the chgrp command to give ownership of a file to another user. What must the user do to regain ownership of the file?
a. Run chgrp again listing himself as the new owner.
b. Nothing as this is a one-way, one-time action.
c. Have the new owner run chgrp and list the original owner as the new owner.
d. Run chown and list himself as the new owner.
7. After typing the ls –F command, you see the following line in the output:
-rw-r-xr– 1 user1 root 0 Apr 29 15:40 file1
What does this mean?
a. User1 has read and write, members of the root group have read and execute, and all others have read permissions to the file.
b. Members of the root group have read and write, user1 has read and execute, and all others have read permissions to the file.
c. All users have read and write, members of the root group have read and execute, and user1 has read permissions to the file.
d. User1 has read and write, all others have read and execute, and members of the root group have read permissions to the file.
8. After typing the command umask 731, the permissions on all subsequently created files and directories will be effected. In this case, what will the permissions on all new files be?
9. When you change the data in a file that is hard-linked to three others, __________.
a. Only the data in the file you modified is affected.
b. Only the data in the file you modified and any hard linked files in the same directory are affected.
c. The data in the file you modified and the data in all hard linked files are modified as they have different inodes.
d. The data in the file you modified as well as the data in all hard linked files are modified as they share the same data and all have the same inode and file size.
10. The command chmod 317 file1 would produce which of the following lines in the ls command?
a. –w-r–rwx 1 user1 root 0 Apr 29 15:40 file1
b. –wx–xrwx 1 user1 root 0 Apr 29 15:40 file1
c. -rwxrw-r-x 1 user1 root 0 Apr 29 15:40 file1
d. –w-rw-r-e 1 user1 root 0 Apr 29 15:40 file1
11. Which of the following commands will change the user ownership and group ownership of file1 to user1 and root respectively?
a. chown user1:root file1
b. chown user1 : root file1
c. This cannot be done because user and group ownership properties of a file must be modified separately.
d. chown root:user1file1
e. chown root : user1file1
12. What does the /var directory contain?
a. various additional programs
b. spools and log files
c. temporary files
d. files that are architecture independant
e. local variance devices
13. What does the mv command do? (Choose all that apply.)
a. It makes a volume.
b. It makes a directory.
c. It moves a directory.
d. It moves a file.
14. A file has the following permissions r—-x-w-. The command chmod 143 would have the same effect as the command _________. (Choose all that apply.)
a. chmod u+x-r,g+r-x,o+w file1
b. chmod u=w,g=rw,o=rx file1
c. chmod u-r-w,g+r-w,o+r-x file1
d. chmod u=x,g=r,o=wx file1
e. chmod u+w,g+r-w,o+r-x file1
f. chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r file1
15. The which command _________________?
a. can only be used to search for executables
b. searches for a file in all directories starting from the root
c. is not a valid Linux command
d. searches for a file only in directories that are in the PATH variable
16. Hard links need to reside on the same filesystem as the target, whereas symbolic links need not be on the same filesystem as the target. True or False?
17. When applied to a directory, the SGID special permission____________________.
a. causes all new files created in the directory to have the same group membership as the directory and not the entity that created them
b. cannot be done as it is only applied to files
c. allows users the ability to use more than two groups for files that they create within the directory
d. causes users to have their permissions checked before they are allowed to access files in the directory
18. Which command do you use to rename files and directories?
19. What are the three standard Linux permissions?
a. full control, read-execute, write
b. read, write, modify
c. execute, read, write
d. read, write, examine
20. Given the following output from the ls command, how many files are linked with file1?
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 8 07:12 Desktop
-rw-r–r– 3 root root 282 Apr 29 22:06 file1
-rw-r–r– 1 root root 282 Apr 29 22:06 file2
-rw-r–r– 4 root root 282 Apr 29 22:06 file3
-rw-r–r– 2 root root 282 Apr 29 22:06 file4
-rw-r–r– 1 root root 282 Apr 29 22:06 file5
-rw-r–r– 1 user1 sys 282 Apr 29 22:06 file6
Discovery Exercise 1
Discovery Exercise 2
Discovery Exercise 3
Discovery Exercise 4
Discovery Exercise 5
Discovery Exercise 6
Discovery Exercise 7
Discovery Exercise 8
Discovery Exercise 9
Discovery Exercise 10