Download Solution: Click to Download Solution
Solution File Name: Ch14.doc
Unzip Password: prestobear.com
Chapter 14 Solutions
1. A subnet mask is used to differentiate the host portion from the network portion in a TCP/IP address. True or False?
2. When logging in to an FTP server as the anonymous user, what password is usually used?
a. the user’s normal network password
b. the password stored in /etc/ftp/pap-secrets
c. the password for the user account on the FTP server
d. the user’s e-mail address
3. Which networking service lets you mount directories from another Linux computer on the network to a mount point on your computer?
4. The /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory holds files that contain configuration information about NICs, ISDN, and PPP connections. True or False?
5. Which file stores the TCP/IP addresses of the DNS servers used to resolve host names?
6. Which command do you type to exit the FTP utility?
7. To test DNS configuration by resolving a host name to IP address, which command or commands can you use? (Choose all that apply.)
a. nslookup hostname
b. dig hostname
c. host hostname
d. resolve hostname
8. Which file holds the methods to be used and the order in which they will be applied for host name resolution?
9. What are two means available to resolve a host name to the appropriate TCP/IP address? (Choose two answers.)
10. A WAN covers a greater geographic area than a LAN. True or False?
11. What devices are used to transfer information from one network to another?
c. DNS servers
d. DHCP servers
12. Which command can you use to view the TCP/IP configuration on your computer?
13. What is the standard protocol used for communication on the Internet?
14. Which utility allows a Linux computer to access shares on a Windows-based computer?
15. The TCP/IP address of 127.0.0.1 is also referred to as the __________.
a. local address
b. lookup address
c. local host
d. loopback address
16. The line that configures the host name for the computer at boot time can be found in /etc/sysconfig/network. True or False?
17. Which command would be used to activate the NIC aliased as eth0?
b. ifup eth0
c. ipup eth0
d. ifdown eth0
18. Which file would you modify to change the TCP/IP address of the first aliased NIC on the system the next time the system is booted or the card is brought up?
19. Before a computer can use a router, it must be provided what configuration information?
a. routing table
b. subnet mask
c. default gateway
d. default router
20. Which of the following utilities can be used to check TCP/IP configuration and test network connectivity? (Choose all that apply.)
d. netstat -i
Discovery Exercise 1
Discovery Exercise 2
Discovery Exercise 3
Discovery Exercise 4
Discovery Exercise 5